How we booked Little Chilli Shimla
The initial inquiry with Little Chilli Shimla
And the booking
A tour of Little Chilli Shimla
Finally arrived the day of our trip. We flew to Chandigarh. And then we took two cabs from Chandigarh to Shimla. By the time we reached Little Chilli Shimla, it was almost 5 in the evening. As we arrived, we were greeted warmly by the Colonel himself at the entrance. He then took us inside to show us around. The aesthetics of the place and the amenities startled us. As we had never imagined the place to be so tastefully done and the amenities no less than what we expect at a hotel. So, we were in for a deal here – the amenities of a hotel combined with the warmth of a homestay. Let us take you through a quick tour of the place.
The middle level or the main level
The entrance to the homestay is at it’s middle level. There is a small parking space at the entrance of the home stay, 2-3 vehicles can be comfortably accommodated here. As you cross this small parking space, you head downstairs to the entrance of the homestay. As you enter inside, you will find yourself in a small reception cum game room. The room has setting for some indoor games like carom, chess, table tennis etc. A door leads from this room to a small hall. Just near the door is the stairs that lead upstairs to the upper level, and downstairs to the lower level. At both ends of the hall are two bedrooms, for guests. There is a cozy sitting arrangement just below the stairs. And, just in front of the stairs, you can get a view of the lower level where the hosts live.
On the left hand side, just near the entrance gate to this hall is another gate that leads to the dining area. The dining area is one of the most tastefully done. It is actually constructed and decorated in the style of an army bunker. The lights in this room are dim. And the room is very tastefully decorated with paintings done by the landlady herself. At one end is a buffet counter to spread the food and on the other end is an entry door that opens in the campus of the homestay.
At both the ends of the hallway, after crossing the bedroom door, are exit doors. These doors lead to the beautiful terrace of the homestay. In the center of the terrace is a circular room, which is a private bar of the Colonel’s. Apart from that, there are minimal seating arrangements at the terrace to enjoy the sun (or the chill in the evening 🙂 ). The terrace opens to a beautiful view of the surrounding mountains and valleys. You can see a walking trail as well. The Colonel had informed us that this route is taken by many for morning walks. We too wanted to, but couldn’t. However, we did wakeup to beautiful views across this terrace while we stayed here.
The upper level
The same pattern of a small hall and a set of stairs is repeated at the next level. There are two bedrooms at either end of the hall. However, at one end of the hall, a small library is tucked neatly with a comfortable sofa and several books, including some tasteful coffee table books. The bedrooms at this level have small balconies each that open up towards the terrace at the middle level. The rooms are all well equipped and have attached bathrooms.
The lower level
The lower level of Little Chilli Shimla is where the landlord and his family reside. Of course we didn’t intrude into his private space. But whatever part is visible to the upper levels, that tells that this floor is as well done with equal taste. The kitchen is present at this floor. Once the food is cooked, it is brought up to the middle floor and served in the dining area. However, we went a couple of times to the kitchen to prepare a few dishes for my daughter and the family was more than happy to assist us with it. I could catch a glimpse of some painting by the landlady in progress , and I must add, they are fabulous.
Once we reached the homestay, we were given a quick tour of the whole place by the owner. Then, we chose our respective rooms and settled down while he went on to get our dinner ready. By the time we freshened up, the dinner was already served in the dining room. Then he left us to enjoy our dinner and our private family space. After dinner , we had some warm chit chat with him. During this, we discussed with him the places where we were planning to head the next day. He gave his valuable inputs.
Tips on staying here
- This being a homestay, there are some rules to comply. Although nothing specific, the general rules of a home like no smoking, no banging the doors, bringing outsiders and partying with outsiders inside the premises. So, make sure you are comfortable following the rules, else, it will be an inconvenience to both you and the owner.
- Again, keep your expectations at par with a homestay. You will be more than pleased. If you want anything specific, feel free to ask the owners. They will be more than happy to help.
- The place is a little far from the main town, so, book here if you are looking for a stay away from the hustle of the town. Otherwise, you will be disappointed.
- The room rates are reasonable. Food is charged extra on top of the room rent. you can choose a package that includes breakfast and (or) dinner. Lunch is not available in the homestay, assuming mostly you will be out during the day. However, if you plan to stay back on the premises, let the owner know your plan. I am sure he will be able to arrange something for lunch too.
- The way from Shimla main town to this homestay doesn’t have any street lights, like most of the mountain roads. So, plan your trips out accordingly and better be back on time. Since, the route is mostly traffic free. You will hardly see any other vehicle here.
- It will be good to reciprocate the warmth that the owners extend. You can talk to them, get some tips on your tour or just chat around. The Colonel has quiet a few interesting stories to share from the days he was in army. Otherwise also, it’s a pleasure talking to him.
- As I mentioned, you will have extra fun if you can book the whole homestay to your own. As the place is even better for a family get together or family holiday.