Where to stay in Kodaikanal
There are many beautiful locations to stay in Kodaikanal. You can either stay near the Kodai lake, with a beautiful view of the lake. Or, you can stay near the botanical garden. However, the area that we feel is absolutely perfect to stay near Kodaikanal is around Coaker’s walk. Places near Coaker’s walk in Kodaikanal are jsut perfect to plan a stay here. I have been twice to this place and stayed at two different resorts : hotel kodai resort and valley view resort. Both were excellent in terms of amenities.
The reason I love this area is because it is at a walkable distance from most of the must visits of Kodaikanal. You can easily plan a day or even two days to roam around this area. If you are traveling with kids or with parents, or because of any other reason you would prefer coming back to your hotel after covering a couple of the visiting places on your list, you can easily do that. Take rest or have lunch at your resort and then again get started for the next place!
Places accessible from near Coaker’s walk
Coaker’s walk itself
The Kodai Lake
The Local Markets
Accommodation to consider when staying near Coaker’s walk
We stayed in two different resorts both the time we went to Kodaikanal. And both the accommodation were equally satisfying. So, we can vouch for both of these. While Kodai Resort was a bigger property and provided much bigger space for children to play. On the other hand, Valley view, as the name suggests, offered an excellent view of the valley spanning across Kodaikanal.
The first time we stayed in Kodai Resort. This resort has a very big lawn. And the rooms are specious, in the form of mini villas. There are recreational areas, sports room and a mini library is also present inside the resort. The staff are courteous. And the food is delicious. Pretty much what one looks for in a comfortable and affordable accommodation. We spent 3 nights in this resort. And the whole stay was quiet smooth and fabulous. Although there is not much view from the rooms, which we would have loved. Nevertheless, the resort is quiet beautiful in itself.
Valley View Resort
The second time, we stayed in Valley View Resort. In fact, when we had gone to Kodaikanal the first time, we were taking a walk across the street one day. That is when we had spotted this resort. And we were really tempted by it’s small but pretty lawn that opens towards the valley. At that time itself, we had a desire that if we are ever going to return here, we will stay in this resort next. And we were not at all disappointed. We had a fabulous stay here. Although the lawn is small and there is not a big open area. But the stunning view of the valley that you see across this resort more than makes up for anything else. Particularly the night views which are beyond stunning. I feel short of words to describe the view that greeted us across the lawn at night. With the houses in the valley glittering against the dark sky like a spread of diamonds.
Summary of tips for staying in Kodaikanal
- We will strongly recommend the area near Coaker’s walk due to close proximity to most of the sites of interest in Kodaikanal.
- You can choose between Valley view resort, Kodai resort or any other resort on the same street.
- Some of the places like Guna caves, pillars rock and a few stunning lakes and waterfalls are located little farther. If you are traveling with your own vehicle then it is not at all a matter of concern. Otherwise, you can query with the resort if they provide vehicles to step out for visiting these places.
- While Kodai resort and other resorts on this line might not have a great view, the resorts are indeed beautiful. But the Valley view resort has an excellent view of the valley which wins more points for nature lovers like us.
- When staying in Kodai resort or any other hotel in this lane, prefer the upper floor rooms for better scenic views.
- When staying in Valley view resort, go for the room that is immediately in front of the lawn. This room’s window opens to excellent valley view. You need not even step out. You can sit on the window seating and enjoy the valley view as much as you like.
- Take a bed plus breakfast package, since there are not too many restaurants in this area. And the food offered by the resorts is quiet good.